Cookies & Cream Cupcakes
Posted on 05/09/2012 by giddyromance
These really are some of the tastiest cupcakes I’ve ever made. The Oreos on the base give each chocolate cupcake a rich, biscuity crunch, and when topped with a creamy vanilla frosting laced with Oreo pieces, the cookies and cream dream is complete.
Lots and lots of step-by-step pictures and the recipe are on my blog, Cloudberry Dreams.
Otherwise, the recipe alone is
COOKIES & CREAM CUPCAKES
For the cupcakes:
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
3 eggs, whole
2 egg yolks
180g dark chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon water
1 cup buttermilk (I used one cup of semi-skimmed milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice added to it)
2 x packets Oreo cookies
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 4). Line cupcake/muffin trays with 24 cupcake papers and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl (I used my stand mixer’s bowl, but any large mixing bowl will do if you’re using hand held beaters), beat the butter and brown sugar on high speed for 3 – 4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and the egg yolks one at a time, beating for two minutes after each addition.
4. Beat in the vanilla extract and the melted chocolate until the mixture becomes glossy.
5. In a separate cup or bowl, combine the coffee with the water and pour into the cake batter, beating on high for 20 – 30 seconds to combine.
6. Set the mixer to the lowest speed and add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk. Make sure that the flour is the first and last thing you add!
7. Place an Oreo cookie into each of the cupcake papers lining the prepared muffin/cupcake tray.
8. Carefully spoon your cupcake mixture over the top of the Oreos in the cupcake papers, filling to 2/3 full.
9. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes in the oven, until cupcakes are cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
COOKIES AND CREAM FROSTING
200g butter, softened and cubed
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 cups icing sugar, sifted
10 Oreo cookies, crushed/chopped
Extra Oreos, for decorating
1. Beat the cubed butter on high speed for 5 minutes until light and creamy.
2. Add the milk, vanilla and half of the sifted icing sugar and beat for 3 – 4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
3. Add the remaining icing sugar and beat again for 3 – 4 minutes, until light, fluffy and a spreadable consistency.
4. Add the chopped/crushed Oreo cookies and beat on low speed for 1 minute to thoroughly combine.
5. Pipe or spread the frosting onto your cupcakes and decorate however you like; I finished mine off with Oreo cookies that I’d cut in half.
x-posted to cooking, food_porn & picturing_food