Latin American Inspired Mini Pies
Posted on 05/16/2012 by phenomenal
This is not what I had planned on making for this month's challenge at all. However, my first attempt bombed. I mean, it wasn't horrible (in fact my boyfriend ate it all,) but it wasn't something I thought was good enough to submit. At that point I decided I just wouldn't make a submission this month. But tonight for dinner I made Betty Crocker's Impossibly Easy Chicken and Broccoli Pies. They were so easy and I became inspired to make a version that would qualify for this month's challenge.
I needed to work with stuff I had in the house (since it was nearly 9 o'clock in the evening.) I wasn't quite sure what path to take in terms of flavor, so I googled and I found this website which told me popular Latin American flavors.
The great thing about this recipe is you really can put anything in it. Yum!
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup milk
1 tomato, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 onion, diced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp jalapeno, minced
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup potato chips, crushed
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1 avocado, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a bowl combine the Bisquick, milk, and eggs.
3. In another bowl combine the tomato, garlic, onion, cumin, jalapeno, oregano, chips, and cheese.
4. Scoop 1 tbsp of the batter into each of the muffin cups. Divide the filling equally between the 12 cups and scoop into the cups. Scoop 1 tbsp of batter over the top of each muffin cup.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Garnish with avocado slices.