Chocolate and Almond Biscotti
These were very simple to make and turned out beautifully; they would have looked perfectly at home in a coffee shop. The recipe makes about 12, depending on how you want to slice them. Making a log and slicing it produces a range of sizes, so you get some large ones that are a full-size snack and some smaller ones that are good with coffee after a meal. The chocolate and almonds can, of course, be swapped for other nuts, fruits, etc., or whatever takes your fancy really.
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 50g chocolate chips
- 50g flaked or chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar, add the lemon juice and almond extract, and then fold in the (sifted) flour, ground almonds and bicarbonate of soda and form the mixture into a soft dough.
- Place the dough on a floured chopping board and form it into a slightly flattened log shape. Dust with more flour and transfer onto a baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and then cut the log into slices 1-2cm thick, on a slight diagonal. Arrange the slices on the baking tray cut sides up and bake at 160°C for 15-20 minutes, until crisp and slightly browned.
- Serve with coffee or other hot beverage of your choice.