Nomming Your Way Through August: The National Eat Dessert First Month Collaborative Challenge!
For those of you who missed the good news in last week's post: August is national Eat Dessert First month! And we all know what that means. Oh boy, do we ever.
Thanks to everybody who rallied to the cause of completing a collaborative challenge in honor of what will certainly become a decadent, delightful month! The goal: as a community, to submit photos, recipes, and/or descriptions of a different themed dessert for every day in this celebratory summer month.
I've compiled a list of signups, including the dates that everyone was interested in, below. Under the cut, I've also included directions for a) how to participate in this fun challenge, and b) guidelines for the challenge.
(Obviously, since I'm organizing this on my own rather than through the community mods, there won't be any "official" rules or guidelines except for the ones that govern this community in general. There will be some desserts that might not be permissible because they aren't baked, and all I'm going to say is that I'm hosting those at a separate spot if you're interested in participating in a full-blown version of this challenge elsewhere. Otherwise, I'll try my best to make sure everyone is kept up to date without disrupting the community!)
If you'd like to sign up for one of the following themed dessert days, please leave a comment with the date/theme!
List and guidelines below the cut.
Green dates are still wide open for some dessert fun; orange dates are covered, but feel free and sign up for them anyway if you like! I really don’t know who in their right mind would say no to more dessert photos, and while I’m tempted to make submissions contingent on you sending me a piece of whatever you make, I’ll suspend that idea….for now, anyway.
August 1 – National Raspberry Cream Pie Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, kamaliitaru and rebecky_mo !)
• August 2 – National Ice Cream Sandwich Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Ala bubblebubba )
• August 3 – National Watermelon Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, rebecky_mo !)
• August 4 – National Chocolate Chip Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Mavin Maverick!)
• August 5 – National Ice Cream Sundae Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, karasumaa !)
• August 6 – National Root Beer Float Day
• August 7 – National Raspberries & Cream Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, kmazzy !)
• August 8 – National Frozen Custard Day
• August 9 – National Rice Pudding Day
• August 10 – National S’Mores Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, karasumaa !)
• August 11 – National Raspberry Bombe Day
• August 12 – National Toasted Almond Bar Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Bob!)
(Ala says: And it’s a certain blogger’s birthday *ahrm MINE* so bonus points for anyone who does something birthday-themed :] )
• August 13 – National Trail Mix Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, doubletake !)
• August 14 – National Creamsicle Day
• August 15 – National Lemon Meringue Pie Day
• August 16 – National Rum Day
• August 17 – National Vanilla Custard Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, rebecky_mo !)
• August 18 – National Ice Cream Pie Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Mavin Maverick!)
• August 19 – National Soft Ice Cream Day
• August 20 – National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day
• August 21 – National Spumoni Day
• August 22 – National Pecan Torte Day
• August 23 – National Spongecake Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Juchin!)
• August 24 – National Peach Pie Day (Chefs de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Ama and Kueken23!)
• August 25 – National Banana Split Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, karasumaa !)
• August 26 – National Cherry Popsicle Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Bob!)
• August 27 – National Pots de Creme Day
• August 28 – National Cherry Turnover Day
• August 29 – National Lemon Juice Day (Chef de cuisine du jour: Thanks, Bob and hisietari !)
• August 30 – National Marshmallow Toasting Day
• August 31 – National Trail Mix Day (Ala says: Otherwise known as We-Didn’t-Know-What-To-Do-With-Today-So-W
Other "Guidelines" to the Eat Dessert First Community-Wide Challenge:
1. When You're Posting: Try to post your entry with the picture of your dessert, description, and recipe (if you have one) on the date of the themed dessert. So for example, if you're signed up for national raspberry cream pie day on August 1st, post it the night before or day of, and write in the title "August 1st: National Raspberry Cream Pie Day." Easy enough, right?
2. Reminder Emails: Since August is a crazy month (I mean, it’s national dessert month–how could it not be crazy?!), I will try my best to help by sending out reminder emails at least a day in advance of your theme date. If you'd like to receive these emails and you feel comfortable sharing, you can privately message me your email address, and I'll only use your email to remind you about your sign-up date(s). This is totally, completely, and wholly optional.
3. Please spread the word! You guys are all fantastic community folks, and I’d love to turn this into a full-fledged collaborative effort to make sure we celebrate national dessert month in style. In other words, this is a chance for some major community bonding, so if you know anyone who is interested in participating, drag ‘em along for the ride! I don’t have any sort of cash or other prizes, but you’ll get a really, really good excuse to make a dessert that you’ve always wanted to make but resisted doing because your family/significant other keeps raising his or her eyebrows when you start pulling out the bags of flour and sugar, as if to say, Are we going through this again? (Yeah, we’ve all been there, done that.)