Zucchini oven fries
Be warned: these things are seriously addictive. I opted to dip mine in warm tomato basil pasta sauce, though I think ranch dressing would be another delicious (but not as healthy) alternative.
1 medium zucchini
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (you can subsitute regular if you'd like, but I like the crunch of panko)
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
1/4 cup pecorino romano, grated
splash of milk
How to make your zucchini crack/oven fries:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet.
2. You'll need 3 separate bowls. In bowl #1 put your flour and 1 tsp of each of your seasonings. In bowl #2 put your egg and splash of milk. In bowl #3 put your panko, remaining tsp of each of your seasonings, and your cheeses. Make sure all the ingredients in your bowl are thoroughly mixed.
3. Wash and cut your zucchini into french fry-sized sticks.
4. Take your zucchini sticks and, a few at a time, dredge them in your flour mixture. Next, dunk them into your egg, and then coat them in your panko/cheese mixture. Place the zucchini sticks on your cooling rack, and repeat the process until all your zucchini are coated.
5. I opted to give my zucchini a Zorro-like quick spray of cooking spray to make them extra crispy and extra delicious. Kind of like fake frying them.
6. Put the zucchini in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Enjoy them on their own or with a dipping sauce of your choice. I opted for some warm marinara sauce. Yum!
Recipe and more at my blog My Life on the Side(lines)