Matcha Cookies (theme post)
Posted on 01/28/2008 by quirkee
This was my first time using matcha (powdered green tea) as an ingredient. I spent half a day out and about just looking for matcha to buy, the elusive thing! I had to improvise on the recipe, seeing as I had no cookie cutters and no rolling pin, so I grabbed the roundest glass I had and used that to roll and cut out the cookies. Hence the uneven-ness of some.
The recipe is taken from lovescool.com.
Green Tea Sweets
3/4 cup (2.25 oz) Confectioners sugar
5 oz Unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 3/4 cup (8.5 oz) All-purpose flour
3 Large egg yolks
1.5 TBS Matcha (powdered green tea)
1 cup Granulated sugar (for coating)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk the confectioner’s sugar and green tea together in a bowl.
- Add the butter and green tea/sugar mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until smooth and light in color.
- Add the flour and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg yolks and mix just until the eggs are fully incorporated and a mass forms.
- Form the dough into a disk and chill in the refrigerator until firm (about 30 minutes).
- Roll the dough out to ½” thickness.
- Cut the dough with a leaf cookie cutter.
- Toss each cut cookie in a bowl of granulated sugar to coat.
- Place the sugar-coated cookie on a parchment lined pan. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.